Author: Jate Rhodes
Publisher: Orenda Books
Publishing Date: 16th July 2026
Many thanks to the publishing team and Random Things Tours for my digital copy and a spot on the tour
Blurb
DI BEN KITTO RETURNS…
A COAST IN CELEBRATION
When DI Ben Kitto sees a baby thrown into Penzance harbour, he prays it’s a trick of the light. But the threat is real. The child survives – barely – and soon a chilling pattern emerges. As the Dark Sky Festival brings dancers, dreamers and stargazers to Cornwall’s coast, children begin to vanish.
A KILLER IN THE CROWD
A small mermaid figurine is found beside each scene, echoing the legend of the Mermaid of Zennor, who lured a man to his death beneath the waves. Still reeling from a devastating bereavement and determined to protect his young son, Ben is pulled back into the field and into a deadly investigation. When the killer’s messages begin arriving at his home, the threat becomes terrifyingly personal.
A FINAL RECKONING
Suspicions fall on familiar faces. When the summer solstice approaches, Ben must confront the boundaries of love, loss and obsession. In a final, desperate chase along the headland, only his bond with Noah – and the loyalty of his dog, Shadow – can prevent tragedy from repeating itself.
My Thoughts
Although The Mermaid's Cry is part of an established series, it was my first introduction to Kate Rhodes' work. I never felt at a disadvantage, as the returning characters were thoughtfully introduced and given enough background to understand their personalities, relationships and significance to the story. Their history added depth without overwhelming new readers, making it easy to become invested in both the characters and the unfolding mystery.
Kate Rhodes has a beautifully atmospheric writing style that brings sensitivity and depth to even the darkest moments of the story. Her lyrical prose softens the impact of the novel's heavier themes without diminishing their emotional weight. Alongside a gripping mystery packed with unexpected twists, The Mermaid's Cry offers a moving exploration of loss, illustrating how compassion, friendship and the strength of a close-knit community can help people navigate the overwhelming journey of grief.
From this point onwards, the novel gathers incredible momentum, with each chapter raising the stakes and revealing another piece of the puzzle. Interspersed throughout are glimpses into the perpetrator's perspective, which kept me constantly second-guessing my theories. I changed my mind about the culprit more times than I can count, thanks to the cleverly placed red herrings that Kate Rhodes weaves throughout the story. Every time I felt confident I'd solved the mystery, another twist sent me back to square one. Even after finishing the book, I'm still not entirely sure whether I ever truly suspected the right person.
As always, Rhodes brings the setting vividly to life with rich, immersive descriptions that make the location feel like a character in its own right. The cast, blending familiar faces with intriguing newcomers, is equally well developed, with each character adding depth, personality and purpose to the unfolding mystery.
I would recommend this book. Also think I need to start the series from the beginning!
Comments
Post a Comment