The Edge Of Always- Blog Tour
I took this book away with me on holiday and, honestly, I couldn't have chosen a better companion for a summer getaway. It had everything I wanted from a holiday read: romance, beautiful locations, a little mystery, plenty of emotion and that wonderfully nostalgic feeling of looking back at the people and moments that shaped you.
The story unfolds through two timelines, gradually bringing the past and present together. In the present day, Luna discovers that a previously unknown painting by Earl, an artist she once knew, has unexpectedly appeared and is due to be exhibited in Paris. What makes the discovery particularly extraordinary is that Luna is the woman depicted in the painting. Understandably intrigued, she decides she has to see it for herself, despite the advice of those around her.
Her trip to Paris becomes even more unexpected when she discovers that Emmett, the boy she once loved as a teenager, has also travelled there to see the painting. Suddenly, Luna is confronted with a part of her past that she perhaps hasn't completely left behind.
The second timeline takes us back to Luna's teenage years, when she spent her summers with her family in Northumberland. This is where we get to experience her relationship with Emmett and see how their connection developed over those summers. I really enjoyed the contrast between the two timelines and the way the past slowly begins to explain the emotions and circumstances we encounter in the present.
There is something quite nostalgic about the story. Those long summer days of childhood and adolescence, the friendships and romances that feel completely consuming at the time, and the way certain memories can stay with us for years all come through beautifully. There is also an interesting question running underneath the romance: what happens when someone from your past suddenly reappears in your present, and can you ever truly leave certain feelings behind?
Despite having a very summery and romantic feel, there is also a definite melancholy running through the book. There are moments where the story feels bittersweet, and I genuinely expected the emotional side of the book to become much more heartbreaking than it ultimately did. There is sadness here, without a doubt, but the author balances it beautifully with warmth, hope and a real sense of possibility.
I particularly appreciated that the story wasn't simply a straightforward romance. There are several things happening beneath the surface, and some of the revelations genuinely caught me off guard. Just when I thought I had worked out where things were heading, the story took another turn. Those unexpected developments added an extra layer to what could otherwise have been a fairly predictable summer love story.
The writing is also lovely. There is a softness to the prose that suits the nostalgic atmosphere, and I could easily picture the settings as I was reading. The Northumberland summers have a particularly beautiful quality to them, while the Paris sections add that little touch of glamour and escapism that made this feel even more like a holiday read.
I will say that this is a fairly slow-paced story, so if you're looking for something fast-moving and packed with action from the very beginning, this may not be the book for you. However, I think the slower pace works with the story being told. It gives you time to get to know Luna, understand her history with Emmett and appreciate how the two timelines gradually connect. My advice would definitely be to stick with it because the emotional payoff is worth it.
What I loved most was the mixture of romance and hope. There are moments of heartbreak and uncertainty, but the overall feeling isn't one of despair. Instead, the story reminds us that life rarely follows the path we expect, and sometimes the things we thought were firmly in the past can unexpectedly find their way back into our lives.
Overall, this was such a lovely holiday read and one I'm really glad I packed in my suitcase. It is romantic, nostalgic, emotional and beautifully atmospheric, with enough twists to keep me guessing. If you enjoy summer romances that have a little more depth beneath the surface, especially stories involving second chances, old loves, secrets and unexpected discoveries, I think this would make a wonderful addition to your summer reading pile.
A slow-burning, heartfelt and beautifully nostalgic romance that manages to be both bittersweet and uplifting — the perfect book to take away on holiday.



Comments
Post a Comment