The Cutting- Blog Tour

 


Author: Micheal J Malone 
Publisher: Orenda Books
Publishing Date:

Many thanks to the publishing team and Random Things Tour for my physical copy of the book and a spot on the tour



Blurb 

The most dangerous voices are the ones that no one else can hear…

Evie Cartwright first speaks to the dead as a child. When she leaves home for university, her ability takes a terrifying turn after she witnesses a brutal murder. By morning, she is haunted by a dead serial killer who refuses to leave her alone, and marked by a cut across her neck that never heals.

For the next ten years, Evie is driven from place to place, searching for a way to rid herself of the voice that torments her day and night. When desperation leaves her with nowhere else to turn, she arrives at the remote Highland home of Annie Jackson, hoping she will finally find answers.

As Annie and her brother Lewis begin to investigate, helped by an old friend with specialist knowledge of the occult, they are drawn into a dark and dangerous search that reaches deep into Scotland’s history. 
And some ghosts are not content to remain in the shadows…




My Thoughts 

The Cutting is the fourth book in the Annie Jackson series. Although I read it as a standalone and was able to follow the story without too much difficulty, I do think this is a series that would benefit from being read in order. There are connections to the previous books that I felt I would have appreciated more if I had already been familiar with the earlier stories and characters.

One of the central characters we meet is Evie Cartwright, a young woman who has lived with an unusual ability for much of her life — she can communicate with the dead. To anyone looking from the outside, it could easily be dismissed as nothing more than a clever medium trick, but it quickly becomes apparent that Evie's abilities are very real. Unfortunately for her, being able to see and communicate with the dead is far from the gift it might initially appear to be.

Evie is dealing with something far more sinister than simply being able to speak to spirits. A dark and malevolent presence has attached itself to her, slowly consuming her thoughts and invading her life. It becomes particularly frightening at night, when there is no escape from the feeling that something is there with her. The more the story unfolds, the more unsettling her situation becomes, and I really enjoyed the way the supernatural elements were woven into the wider mystery.

One of my favourite aspects of the book was the use of multiple points of view and different timelines. There are quite a few characters and storylines to keep track of, but surprisingly, I never found it confusing. Instead, I thought the different perspectives added another layer to the story and gradually allowed the bigger picture to come together. I particularly enjoyed seeing events from different viewpoints and piecing together how the various threads connected.

There is a great sense of mystery running throughout the book, with enough unanswered questions to keep you turning the pages. The supernatural element also gives the story a darker and more unsettling atmosphere, particularly through Evie's experiences and her connection to the spirit world.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Cutting. While I managed to read it as a standalone, I would definitely recommend starting with the first book in the Annie Jackson series if you can, as I suspect the characters and connections will have even more impact when experienced in order. The combination of mystery, different timelines, multiple perspectives and supernatural elements made this a really engaging read, and I particularly loved how the different pieces of the story gradually came together.

Comments

Popular Posts