The Winter Guest- Blog Tour

 


Author: Karen Swan 
Publisher: Penguin Books 
Publishing Date: 8th October 2026 

Many thanks to Random Things Tours and the Publishing Team for my physical copy of the book and a spot on the tour 



Blurb 

In a grand villa on the shores of Lake Geneva, Dulcie’s grandmother nears the end of her glamourous and eventful life. The days pass quietly to the reassuring tick of the Swiss clock – until a visitor comes to their door…

1961
In the streets of Paris, Lise Erlach is in love. Twenty-two years old, the beautiful young Ambassador’s wife enjoys the very best the city has to offer: glittering receptions, a magnificent residence and an address book filled with the numbers of the Parisian elite. She is wanted at every party…and by one man above all. Their affair dazzles them both but in a distant sea, a crisis is brewing that will change their paths forever.

Present day
As snow falls upon the Alps, Dulcie sits by her grandmother’s bed, undisturbed until the visitor arrives. He says he must tell her grandmother something urgently - something that will make Dulcie realise the beloved old woman before her is a complete stranger... With deep family secrets unlocked, can she get the answers she needs before time runs out?



My Thoughts 

I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of a Karen Swan book. There’s just something about her writing that always manages to hit the spot for me, and this one was no exception. She has such a talent for creating stories that feel glamorous, atmospheric and completely transporting, and I found myself getting more and more absorbed as the story progressed.

The beginning was a little slow for me, as Karen Swan takes her time setting the scene, introducing the characters and establishing the different threads of the story. However, once everything was in place, I found myself becoming completely invested. I think the slower start actually worked in the story’s favour because it allowed the atmosphere and characters to develop before the pace gradually picked up.

One of my favourite aspects was the setting. Karen Swan’s descriptive writing really brings Paris to life, and I could vividly picture the streets, buildings and wintery surroundings. There were so many moments where I felt as though I was actually there alongside Lise, experiencing the city with her. The descriptions added such a wonderful sense of escapism, which is something I always look forward to when picking up one of her books.

This is a beautifully atmospheric dual-timeline winter story, combining family secrets, romance, history, sacrifice and a touch of espionage. I particularly enjoyed the way the two timelines slowly began to connect. There’s something so satisfying about watching the pieces of a story gradually fall into place, especially when you know there are secrets from the past that are eventually going to come to light.

I loved the gradual reveal of Lise’s past. Rather than giving us everything at once, the story slowly peels back the layers, leaving you with questions about what happened and how the past connects to the present. As more information is revealed, the two timelines come together in a really satisfying way, and I enjoyed seeing how everything ultimately fitted together.

There’s also a lovely balance between the more romantic and glamorous elements of the story and the darker themes surrounding family, secrets and sacrifice. It gives the book a little bit of everything without feeling like any one element completely takes over.

Overall, this was another enjoyable Karen Swan read for me. It took a little while to get into, but once I was settled into the story, I found it incredibly absorbing. The atmospheric setting, dual timelines, secrets from the past and gradual reveals kept me turning the pages, and I especially loved the feeling of being transported to a wintery Paris.

I think this will be a great choice for anyone who enjoys dual timelines, glamorous settings, romance, historical elements, espionage and long-held family secrets. If you’re already a Karen Swan fan, I think you’ll know exactly the kind of escapism you’re getting with this one! ❄️📚✨

Comments

Popular Posts